Established in 1962 Theatre West is an internationally acclaimed non profit arts organization and the oldest continually running theatre company in Los Angeles. Our productions have toured both sides of the Atlantic, including the Edinburgh and Dublin Festivals, New York City, Atlanta, South Carolina, Seattle, San Francisco, and throughout California. Over the years Theatre West’s plays have transferred to Broadway (Spoon River Anthology, Aesop in Central Park), to feature films (A Bronx Tale, Faithful) and have been published (Acting: The First Six Lessons, Thicker Thank Water). Some of Hollywood’s brightest lights have made Theatre West their artistic home, including Betty Garrett, Lee Meriwether, Richard Dreyfuss, Carroll O’Connor, Harold Gould, Beau Bridges, Martin Landau, Bridget Hanley and Philip Abbott.
Theatre West is a democratic artistic cooperative of actors, writers, directors, administrators, executive and artistic Board members and technical professionals dedicated to the artistic growth of its members. Our threefold mission statement is to conduct workshops to further our member’s artistic growth, present performances grown from those workshops and to do outreach to the greater community. Dues paying company members enjoy access to workshops in acting, playwrighting, musical theatre and Shakespeare.
- Associates Workshop Theatre West provides acting classes to the emerging artists via our Associates Member program.
- Storybook Theatre – Since 1984 Storybook Theatre has been part of our company, honored by The United States Senate and House of Representatives, The County Board of Supervisors, the City Council of Los Angeles and Mayor’s Office. Storybook presents non-threatening, interactive musical theater appropriate for children 3-9 years old.
- Education Program K-5 Theatre West’s qualified teaching staff goes into LAUSD classroom and uses theater skills to present positive and invigorating educational instruction that meet California Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) standards.
- Educating Teachers – We have offered some 2,000 professionals over 5,000 workshops in acting, musical comedy, playwrighting, Shakespeare, and improvisation – making art and creating a fun curriculum utilizing vocabulary, math, history, and geography.
- Theatre West routinely gives back to the community through benefits for local schools, the Valley Jewish Storefront, Hollygrove Orphanage, S.T.A.G.E., APLA, Concern II, and has raised thousands of dollars for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights A.I.D.S.
Our work has been applauded with Tony Awards, Obies, Ovations Award Nominations, 9 LA Drama Critics Awards, Valley Theatre Awards, 7 NAACP Image Awards, and over 130 Drama-Logue Awards. Internationally, we have been nominated by the BBC for the Best of the Fringe, and awarded the coveted Cover of the Scotsman at the Edinburgh Festival, as well as Best Ensemble Award at the Dublin Festival. We have also been honored at the annual Charlie Awards presented by The Hollywood Arts Council.
- Ahmanson Foundation
- Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Dwight Stuart Youth Foundation
- Ralph M. Parsons Foundation
- Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
- Los Angeles County Arts Commission
- The Lear Family Foundation
- Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation
- NBC Universal
- Councilman David Ryu
- So Cal Gas
- Actors Equity Association